Ascension Columbia St. Mary's PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program
Residency Purpose Statement and Goals:PGY1 Pharmacy Residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two pharmacy residency training.
Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital Milwaukee aims to develop residents into capable pharmacy clinicians who are prepared to enter an advanced acute care practice environment. Through a variety of rotation experiences, projects, and activities, residents will develop successful time management and communication skills. Graduates will be resourceful, compassionate, and competent members of the healthcare team who demonstrate a commitment to the patient and profession.
|Introduction to Pharmacy Practice||6 weeks|
|Critical Care||5 weeks|
|Emergency Medicine||5 weeks|
|Internal Medicine||5 weeks|
|Pharmacy Administration||5 weeks|
|Experiential Education||1 week|
Elective Rotations (Choose 4)
|NICU and Women's Health||5 weeks|
|Oncology (ambulatory)||5 weeks|
|Medication Safety||5 weeks|
|Pharmacy Informatics||5 weeks|
|Ambulatory Care||5 weeks|
|Thrombosis Clinic||5 weeks|
|Antimicrobial Stewardship/ Infectious Diseases||5 weeks|
A teaching certificate through Concordia University Wisconsin School of Pharmacy is available as part of an Academia learning experience.
Expectations during residency year include:
- Obtain pharmacist licensure in the state of Wisconsin within 90 days of starting the program
- Successful achievement of required ASHP competency areas
- Advance cardiac life support certification and attendance at every cardiac and respiratory arrest while onsite
- Attendance at Milwaukee Citywide Residency Conferences
- Completion of a year-long residency project with presentation of findings
- Serve as a preceptor for Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience (IPPE) and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) students
- Assist in new resident recruitment and onboarding
- Abide by all policies and procedures of Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital
Every third Friday and every third weekend. Staffing is a mixture of centralized and decentralized shifts.
Number of Positions:Four PGY1 Pharmacy Residents