Trauma IV Hospitals
All of the Ascension Hospital facilities in which the student rotates through are level IV trauma centers. This means that we may treat the same wide variety of patients as a Level I hospital except once stabilized, they may be transferred to a Level I hospital for further treatment.
A Level IV Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS) prior to transfer of patients to a higher level trauma center. It provides evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic capabilities for injured patients.
Elements of Level IV Trauma Centers Include:
- Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage. Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival
- May provide surgery and critical-care services if available.
- Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center.
- Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program.
- Involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities.