Medical Student and Resident Orientation
This page contains information and resources for medical students and resident physicians participating in clinical placements at Ascension Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics.
Please complete ALL 5 STEPS as you prepare for your clinical experience with an Ascension WI site. You will fill in two separate confirmation pages (Step 2 and Step 5) - both are required.
Step 1: Forms
Step 2: General Ascension Information
Step 3: EHR and Other Clinical Training
Ascension Columbia St. Mary's (Legacy Columbia St. Mary's Sites)
Ascension Wheaton Franciscan (Legacy Wheaton Franciscan Sites)
Ascension Central - North Region (Legacy Ministry and Affinity Sites)
Step 4: Required Reading
Step 5: Confirmation
Health requirements for students/instructors can vary based on site. Please confirm with the school coordinator which requirements are needed for a specific site.
- Physical exams may be required prior to start of the program to include: a health history, physical examination by a physician, physician assistant or an advanced practice nurse prescriber, verifying that the instructor is free of clinically apparent communicable disease.
SEWNA Provision: Physical exam by primary healthcare provider (MD, DO, APNP, PA) is required prior to initial clinical start AND annual history update & verification. Physical Examination to include: Instructor is free of clinically apparent communicable disease, is able to meet physical demands of the work, i.e. lift 50 pounds, any ADA accommodation requirements, a health history with signed declaration by ithat the report is correct to the best of their knowledge, annual declaration by nstructor that health status is unchanged to the best of their knowledge.
- He/she is free from active tuberculosis as documented by a negative Mantoux skin test or negative chest x-ray (dated after skin test conversion) and is free from signs and symptoms of tuberculosis. Quantiferon TB test acceptable in lieu of annual Mantoux skin test.
- Documented immunity to Rubella, Rubeola, and Mumps (MMR); positive titer or medical documentation of 2 MMRs, 1 month apart, with the 1st dose after the first birthday, and the 2nd dose at least 1 month thereafter.
- Documented immunity to Varicella; positive titer or 2 doses of varicella vaccine 4 weeks apart.
Have been advised of the risks of Hepatitis B and have either begun the Hepatitis B vaccination series or, in the alternative, have completed the appropriate declination of immunization form.
- Have received the seasonal influenza vaccine each year no later than October 31st. (For experiences taking place between September 1st and March 31st ) Please Note: Any reason other than medical contraindication the nstructor will not be permitted to participate in a clinical experience. The academic partner is to track compliance with this requirement, and send statistical documentation of the same to the designated Ascension education contact. This documentation should include total number of clinical at an Ascension facility, how many received the vaccine, and how many had a documented medical contraindication to the vaccine. Documentation of shall be on file at the education setting.
Students/Instructors with exemptions to the vaccine are required to wear a surgical mask during the influenza season whenever in buildings where patient care takes place, regardless of whether the student/instructor is a direct patient caregiver or not.
- Drug screens may be required by certain Ascension sites.
SEWNA Provision: A 10-Panel Urine Drug Screen is required prior to initial clinical start.
• A negative result will require no further screens unless indications of impairment are present, in which case additional screens may be requested.
• If there is a break in an instructor's employment or the student's enrollment, the urine drug screen will need to be repeated.
• If an nstructor/student has a current positive drug screen result, they will not be able to participate in a clinical placement. Notice of above must be provided to the Clinical Education Setting.
Background Check Requirements
Each student/instructor is required to have a completed Background Check prior to beginning a clinical placement at Ascension WI. The Background Information Disclosure form can be found here. It is the school's responsibility to complete and appropriately log the results in the individual's record within the ESCPP Database.
Any student or instructor with a finding on the background check must be cleared through the Ascension WI Student Placement Coordinator prior to the start of their clinical experience.
Other RequirementsSome placements require a valid and current Basic Life Support certification as issued by the American Heart Association.